Having perfect oral health means that you can smile with confidence but it also comes with lots of other benefits. When the oral health is neglected, the bacteria multiplies and this can create some adverse effects on your teeth and gums. If the bacteria is left untreated then it can lead to periodontal disease, the harmful bacteria can also get in contact with the blood flow and it can make its way in other parts of your body. By taking care of your oral health, you can reduce the chances of contracting periodontal disease and benefit your overall health.

In this article, we will cover the top 5 things that you can do in order to ensure you have perfect oral health.

  1. Brushing

This might seem like an obvious one and to most people brushing is a common action carried out on a regular basis. However, because brushing your teeth is sometimes taken for granted, many people don’t take it as a seriously as they should.  Dentists recommend brushing at least 2 times per day. This is however a minimum and it can be very beneficial to brush more often – after meals for example.

The toothpaste that you use also has an important role in keeping your teeth and gums in perfect condition. The most efficient toothpastes are the ones with a higher fluoride concentration. 1450ppmF- is generally used in over-the-counter UK toothpastes and is recommended by experts. However, children’s formulas can contain lower levels.

  1. Dental floss

Even though it may look like a complicated process, without immediate results, the use of dental floss is a big step in maintaining healthy teeth. Brushing your teeth without flossing is like washing only 65% of your body while showering, the other 35% remaining dirty. Flossing can often help to remove stubborn pieces of food that are stuck between your teeth and prevent bacteria from forming.

  1. Mouthwash

Mouthwash is also a very important element in your daily oral hygiene, this helps to eliminate the bacteria that causes dental plaque. Mouthwash also helps to prevent gingivitis, which leads to other periodontal diseases and has the negative side effect of bad breath. To keep everything under control, without having any doubts regarding your breath, you can clean your mouth by rinsing it repeatedly after each meal and by using dental floss for the leftovers that remain stuck between the teeth. If you don’t have dental floss, you can use soft wood toothpicks, but use them carefully to not harm the gums.

  1. Diet

Have you ever heard of the saying “You are what you eat”? This proverb is just as relevant when it comes to looking after your oral health. The sugar and carbs contained by the food we consume can lead to the deterioration of our teeth and gums over time. That is why we need to focus more on consuming more nutrients and try to keep sugary and fatty foods to a minimum. The general rule is that a balanced lifestyle when it comes to food with provide a massive lift to your dental health.

  1. Professional care techniques

No matter how good we take care of our teeth at home, regular visits to the dentist are essential for maintaining perfect oral health. A professional scaling will eliminate the tartar which cannot be taken away only by brushing.  If it is necessary, the dentist can perform dental treatments with fluoride which can help to protect the teeth as well as removing any bacteria or signs of disease before they take hold.

About The Author

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.